Several bloggers on the Commons contacted us to let us know that they received a flurry of spam comment moderation notifications yesterday, July 8th. WordPress, the platform we use for the Commons, sends such messages to blog owners when it receives spam or spam-like comments; rather than publishing them directly to the site, it puts [...]
Thanks to the terms of a licensing agreement generously made available by Automattic, the CUNY Academic Commons recently purchased a subscription to Akismet, the premier spam-prevention service for WordPress blogs, that can be shared with any WordPress installation on a cuny.edu domain. We would very much like to spread the word about the availability of this [...]
On Wednesday, January 18, the CUNY Academic Commons will join hundreds of sites around the web, including Wikipedia, Reddit, and Boing Boing, and around CUNY, including the Macaulay Honors College ePortfolios and OpenCUNY, in a protest of SOPA, the Stop Online Privacy Act, and PIPA, the Protect IP Act. As part of this protest, the [...]
The CUNY Academic Commons is proud to announce the establishment of The Commons in a Box, a new open-source project that will help other organizations quickly and easily install and customize their own Commons platforms. With generous support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the CUNY Academic Commons team will launch the free software project [...]
We are delighted to report that André Pitanga, IT Senior Associate (Level 2) at the CUNY Graduate Center and Systems Administrator for the CUNY Academic Commons, received an Employee Recognition Award for Outstanding Achievement today in a ceremony held at the CUNY Graduate Center.
This is very well deserved news. Most users of the Commons don’t [...]
We’re happy to announce that version 1.1 of the CUNY Academic Commons is now live!
All upgrades to the site are important, but this one brought an especially large number of new features and revisions. The Community Team will be blogging about these changes over the next week, but we’d like to start by providing an [...]
by Matthew K. Gold on November 23, 2010 in Uncategorized
It gives me great pleasure and excitement to announce that Michael Smith, Assistant Professor of Communications Technology at York College, has agreed to join the CUNY Academic Commons Community Team as our new Outreach Coordinator.
If you’ve been around the Commons for a while, you’re probably already familiar with Michael’s work, which includes the York [...]
We’re very proud to announce that CUNY Academic Commons Lead Developer Boone Gorges has been named a core committer on the BuddyPress project, along with Paul Gibbs. Congratulations to both Boone and Paul!
As Boone explains in his post about the promotion, this means that he has been “handed the keys” to the software; [...]
by Matthew K. Gold on August 29, 2010 in Uncategorized
Since we’re (finally) about to update the photos on the homepage of the CUNY Academic Commons, we thought that this might be a good time to put out a call for new images. To wit: we’re very much in need of CUNY-related photos that can be posted on the front page of the site, [...]
by Matthew K. Gold on August 27, 2010 in Uncategorized
As you might know from Brian’s ( @brianfoote ) excellent post on the Ground Control blog and from our About page, the CUNY Academic Commons is administered by several groups:
The Development and Community Teams: The Development team handles the technical side of the site — writing code, administering servers, troubleshooting bug reports — while the [...]
- CUNY Academic Commons Seeks Part-time Employees
- New Analytics
- Commons In A Box Released
- CUNY Academic Commons Launches Commons In A Box (Press Release)
- Occupy Sandy: What You Can Do
- Hurricane Sandy Services & Resources
- Dev team member Raymond Hoh promoted to BuddyPress core team
- Commons 1.4 — Reply By Email!
- Welcome to the CUNY Academic Commons, Version 1.4
- Spam Comment Moderation Messages on July 8
- Registering blog addresses and generating a OPML file (Notes on FeedWordPress and MOOC-In-a-Box) JISC CETIS MASHe on The CUNY Academic Commons Announces The Commons in a Box Project
- MLA 2013 Retrospective | French Studies Field Notes on The CUNY Academic Commons Announces The Commons in a Box Project
- » 2012: Moments Footenotes on The CUNY Academic Commons Will Go Dark on 1/18/12 in Protest of SOPA and PIPA
- Statistics For Your Site | Commons Codex on Introducing Google Analytics for Your Blog
- A Common History | Ground Control on The CUNY Academic Commons Announces The Commons in a Box Project
- Pages displayed : 410917
- Unique visitors : 139286
- Pages displayed in last 24 hours : 1804
- Unique visitors in last 24 hours : 942